"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen." -Ephesians 3:20-21

Monday, May 21, 2007

What a Road!

I kept opening Jason's laptop every night we were in the hospital to blog about the day and Caleb's hard work and brave heart, but I just couldn't find the words or the energy. But, now we are home, and although we're not done with all the hard stuff, we are almost there. And I'm so thankful!

The kidney function tests on May 4th showed that the left kidney seemed to be functioning well, possibly even better than the unobstructed right kidney. (How great is our God!) Caleb's urologist was still a bit cautious and warned us that is was possible for it to be "just a shell" when he saw it for himself. The obstruction would be repaired in surgery that was scheduled for the 15th of May. Over those 11 days of waiting and preparing for surgery, there were hard days and then there were days where he seemed almost normal! But by the Sunday before the surgery, Mother's Day, we were all just ready to get it over with. On top of all he had already been through, he began passing some stones! He was hurting again so much and I wanted it to be over for him. I just wish they could have fixed it without having to cut the precious skin of my baby boy.

My friend, Ali, found a picture I have seen before but forgot about for Caleb to help him have a visual of how Jesus was going to be helping his doctor make him better in surgery. It really helped him to see it. And the song, "Oh no, You never let go" by Matt Redman is a favorite of his, even before this. He asked Jason if we could bring the ipod to the hospital so he could listen to it "because Jesus is not going to let me go." It's amazing to me to have watched his faith grow through this whole ordeal.

On the morning of Tuesday the 15th, he fell peacefully and happily to sleep with the help of Versed and other "happy drugs." With a giggle, he said I had four eyes and two noses and two mouths just before he drifted off. I giggled back as I kissed his sweet forehead and brushed his hair with my fingers and then tried not to cry hard as they wheeled his little bed down the hall to the OR. That moment is one of those moments that I look back at and wonder how people go through things like that without the Lord. The hope of knowing that Caleb is God's child, His masterpiece and I can trust that He holds him and holds me too is what got me through.

We tried to prepare him as much as we could that when he woke after the surgery was over, it would be hard. He would hurt. And we would be there at every step to help him. But, nothing we said could have prepared him for the pain he woke up in. And nothing could have prepared Jason and me for those 5 days we spent in the hospital, at his bedside, helpless to take away the cause of that pain.
Tuesday afternoon
Post Op but before waking up for the first time
He looked so pitiful to me.Wednesday the 16th
Up in the chair for the first time. Ouch!!!

I love this picture.
It is what I did instead of blog while we were in the hospital.
For almost 4 days, Caleb wanted my hand and Bru on his hurt side.
He has loved his Bru dog (velveteen style) since he was 8 months old.
Thursday the 17th
After two entire days of a constant grimace because of the pain, the first smile reappeared after a very good rendition of the ABC's in burp language. Gotta love boys and bodily noises! Makes them laugh everytime! I missed that smile so much! I cried happy tears that day!

Thursday night
He amazed us by standing up by his bed. I was just planning on letting him sit by the side of the bed to go potty. His ambitious, competitive spirit had other plans.

My silly boy figured out that the bottom line on the monitor was his breathing and he intentionally "drew" letter M's, N's, W's, stairs, mountains and valleys with his breaths. Too funny. Who needs crayons, anyway?

The staff at Arnold Palmer Hospital is amazing. I am so thankful for such a wonderful childrens' hospital for such a time as this. This train contraption was brought in for Caleb by one of the Child Life staff who basically facilitate play for the sick kiddoes. She had searched the whole hospital for some kind of train toy the first time he was admitted and found this one. Then, she heard we were back for surgery and brought it by again. Super sweet! It is priceless to me when others love my children. He woke up from a nap and saw it waiting for him on my trundle bed. It was just the motivation he needed to get up and walk for the first time.

Friday night
He had turned the corner on pain managing and we were planning on going home in the morning. Caleb drew a picture of his beloved CSX trains for the nurses to thank them for taking such good care of him.

Saturday the 19th
Ironically one month after first discovering his kidney issue, we are going home!! And can you tell he's happy about it?! I think I was happier, though.When we got home, my heart melted when my Katey-girl ran at full speed out the door to greet us and was so very happy to see her brother, her playmate and her friend home again. She missed him and it was obvious. I love that my children love to be with each other... most of the time ;O)

4 comments:

Erin said...

Very sweet - both new posts!! You warmed my heart this morning!! I miss you a little bit :-)!! Just kiddding, I miss you A LOT!!!!! Can't wait to hear when ya'll are coming!!

Thanks for posting the pics of Caleb in the hospital. I hate that we couldn't be there with you all during the whole ordeal. Joshua and JCT still pray for Caleb's kidney every day. His healing is always their first request!

We love you all so much! Give those sweet kiddos kisses from their Nippy!

Jackson said...

Beautifully written, Jen!! What a journey and another testimony to God's grace, provision, and protection over your family. Your family is, hands down, the most resiliant family I know.
Love you tremendously!!

Sarah said...

I am so glad you called me today--I've been missing you!

And I'm highly impressed at your blogging savvy--look at all those pictures! :)

Jenibug7 said...

Oh Jen- It's Jen Jordan. I have been checking your site waiting for an update. Ali told me what was going on with Caleb. I am so glad you posted how he is and your sweet words about you baby girl made me sit here crying as I read them!! I know I will be saying "How is Elena THREE?" before I know it! Where does the time go? It seems like you JUST had her!
Anyway, glad you are home and I am praying for continued recovery.
Love,
Jen J.
www.myjordanfamily.blogspot.com